Banker Bets: Why They Matter in Baccarat

  • January 7, 2023

The Banker bet is the default option for many players. While some understand its significance, others have come to adopt it through folklore, believing that one type of bet is just better than another without understanding the reason behind it. Well, in the case of the Banker bet, this “gambler’s fallacy” is actually very true.

In fact, the Banker bet is posted at theoretical odds of 45.84%, but some versions of the game suggest that the actual winning percentage is closer to 50.00%, hence why casinos apply a 5% commission on this bet and why the odds are closer to 45.00%. Don’t let the numbers confuse you at all.

You will find many new baccarat players and seasoned professionals pick the Banker to bet on in an attempt to reduce the house edge and give themselves the highest possible chance of succeeding. Players will notice that betting on the Banker is one of the most circulated tips and a core part of most baccarat strategies available.

The Player Bet: Don’t Underestimate It

Just because the Banker has a better chance of winning and negating some of the house edge, it doesn’t mean you should overlook other aspects of the gameplay. In fact, the Player bet is a perfectly fine choice and the default option if you are using betting systems.

Mathematical proof exists that the Banker bet just performs poorly because of the commission when betting according to a system, such as Martingale, Labouchere, or Fibonacci.

Since these baccarat strategies rely on minor gains accumulated over a prolonged period of time, you may want to avoid a bet that is inherently handicapped by the house’s commission.

Essentially, the Player bet will see you through when playing with strategies, and that is why you should make sure that you understand every aspect of the game and not just trust that the Banker bet will make you a winner.

The Tie Bet: Not a Great Idea

The third option in a game of baccarat is the tie bet. No strategy will focus on this type of wager as it doesn’t add any specific benefits to you. For one, it pays 14 units on every 100 you wager, making it a poor call to begin with. Another thing to factor in is that the bet has a less than 10% chance of turning up, and even if it did, it’s still not worth it.

If you bet on one of the two main outcomes and a tie occurs, you won’t lose your money. The bet will be considered a push, and the hands replayed. Essentially, there is very little incentive for you to try and bet on the Tie. If you wanted further proof, we researched carefully for our guide, verifying with multiple sources that the Tie actually has a 14.4% house edge.

Yes, you read this right. The bet bears one of the highest and most unappealing house edges any casino game has. In comparison, the Banker comes with a 1.06% house edge, and the Player has another 1.26% contributing to a well-rounded overall experience.

Placing your money on the smart bets is definitely what’s going to give you the highest chances of succeeding, too.